Thursday, November 29, 2007

Drip Drip drip

Oh Atlanta, I wish I could send some of this your way. We woke up this morning to hear the steady dripping of rain. I absolutely love this sound and I never get to hear it since we moved to this desert. Oh man, there's no better way to wake up. And it's still raining!

And also:

Wow. Thanks Mrs. Haury. We're having a big ceremony tomorrow with a formal dinner to announce the gift and thank Agnese Haury. With this gift, we'll be able to build a new archive building to house the thousands of tree-ring samples that are currently stuffed in the store rooms under the stadium. They'll finally be climate controlled and ventilated. This lab has been waiting for new headquarters since 1937. This building won't be headquarters, but it will move our most precious and vulnerable artifacts into a place where they'll be safe. They'll be organized and preserved so we can continue to use them. Some of the samples up in the Lab attic were collected by Douglass himself. I love when I'm looking for a specific piece of wood from a particular pueblo and I find it in a box, neatly labeled with a real ink pen. The neat little initials in faded ink say "A.E.D". It makes me feel like I'm a part of a long tradition. I'm really lucky to be at the tree-ring lab, and we're really lucky to have such a generous benefactress.

3 comments:

karmakat said...

WOW !!!!!
Rain AND $9,000,000. You are truly blessed.

Brook said...

Awesome! I have it on good authority that the current storage location for the tree rings is dark and creepy and doesn't have nearly enough sprinklers for all those highly flammable wood artifacts.

Brook said...

blog love!