Sunday, November 25, 2007

Christmas idea #1

The turkey is barely gone, but can I talk a little about Christmas?
I like to make my own Christmas decorations as much as I can. I have fun doing it, and I like to have something that's a little unique.
Here's the first thing we've made for this Christmas. The day after Thanksgiving, Rob's mom and I were sitting in front of a movie making these little guys.We took small pieces of red felt and cut out two bird shapes. Then, we embroidered flowers, wings, and star designs on the sides. Sometimes we added a few beads for the eyes or for the middle of flowers. When both sides were decorated, we sewed the two sides together and stuffed the birds with cotton balls. When we ran out of cotton balls, we just used the scraps of felt. When we sewed the seam shut, we added a little piece of green ribbon to the top of each one to hang it by. We made seven in all. We think they look kind of Scandinavian. What do you think? I have a short stand of red wooden garland from the grocery store ($1.99 tops). I attached the birds here and there along the garland and hung the whole thing over the window in the dining room.
It was an easy, inexpensive, and fun thing to make together.

2 comments:

karmakat said...

What a fun project for you guys to do together.
They are adorable and very festive.

I can see the Scandinavian look about them too, which is kind of neat since Scandinavian countries are all so chilly and Tucson is all so not chilly.
Kind of cools you off and adds some holiday spirit at the same time.

katie o. said...

The bird garland is very cool, L! It reminds me of the pink and red heart garland you made for me a few years ago. The simplicity of it makes it even cooler. Great job!