Saturday, November 3, 2007

Trip to Denver

I'm back from a busy trip to Denver. I went to present a poster at the Geological Society of America's annual conference. I can't get over how huge that meeting is. There are 10,000 people there and they're all giving papers or posters. The program for the week was like a phonebook. My poster presented some new data about Lassen Volcano in California. People asked some good questions and had some good criticism, so all in all it was a successful conference. This is my poster. I know it's too small to read, but trust me, it's only exciting to me. The graphs are tree-ring chemistry and the rest of the figures are mostly maps. I observed something else in Denver. Archaeologists aren't particularly famous for their fashion choices, but next to Geologists, we look like supermodels. The standard uniform for men seemed to be faded jeans, a blue collared shirt, and a tweed-y blazer with elbow patches. Most of the time, this was topped off with a field hat. On women, I saw a lot of long skirts with tights, fleece jackets, and white white sneakers. Next year, I might propose a session called " how to not look like a field scientist" or "how to be taken seriously outside of your lab". do you think anyone would come?
A cool thing happened on the plane on the way to Denver though. These fighter planes were taking off from the Tucson airport and they kept flying right over our plane. Neat, huh? The guy next to me thought I was a dork for taking pictures outside the window. Okay maybe I was being a dork, but I had to get ready to meet the rest of the dorks in Denver didn't I?
I went to the conference by myself. I met a bunch of friends the first day for dinner and drinks and then I shared a hotel room with them that night. It's great to be able to meet old friends from all over the place at the same conference. I really look forward to it, sometimes, the GSA's are the only time I see those people all year. I got to see Joe, Nikki, Kathy, Lori, Chris, and Christian all on Tuesday. The second night, they all left town and I moved to a different hotel by myself. I know it probably sounds weird, but I've never stayed in a hotel room alone before. I was excited about it- keeping the temperature just how I like it, watching whatever I want on the TV. I also resolved to go out to dinner all by myself. That was the hardest part. I don't know how people do it. I hesititated a little at the door of the restaurant, but I was brave and got a table for one and ordered my dinner (resisting the temptation to order it takeout). It was kind of fun- being alone, I could eat wherever I wanted and not worry about impressing anyone- so I got Lasagna and a shirley temple. yum. Then I just sat there. by myself. What do you do when you're alone at dinner? I should have brought a book. I got lonely and called Dana who kept me company over the phone. I still feel like I've overcome a scary obstacle- staying alone and eating alone. Ha!
Still, I'm glad to be back with Rob. Busy week ahead, I'll try to post at least a few more times.
Happy November and Happy day of the dead!

3 comments:

Brook said...

What restaurant did you settle on? More importantly, I'm looking for soup recipes. I'm on a soup kick.

TucsonLizzie said...

Okay, you should call me for the recipe for pumpkin leek soup. It was really good and very autumnal.
I ate at Maggiano's.

Archaeology Ash said...

I am so so so proud of you for eating alone! yeah for Lizzie, the independent woman!