Thursday, November 8, 2007

Is it too early?

Okay. I know that we have a little while yet, but my mind has been on Thanksgiving. I wait all year for Thanksgiving. This is my favorite holiday by far. there's nothing not to like about Thanksgiving. The decorating is minimal and voluntary (you better believe I put up cheesy turkeys all over this place), there aren't any presents to buy, you eat all day, the entire day is based on a good happy feeling, instate rivalry football, and, most importantly, the pie!
The pie is the subject of this post. You see, I may have a problem when it comes to pie. Every Thanksgiving I find myself baking 8 jillion pies. When I'm at my parents' house, this is no big deal since I come from a family of hearty pie-eaters. In fact, it is only since I got married that I learned that most people don't consider pie a breakfast food. Can you imagine?!
This year, Rob and I are hosting Thanksgiving at our house (yay!). We're having Rob's parents, his grandma, two uncles, an aunt, an uncle in-law? (not really sure how this person is technically related), and Dana and Caitlin. Last year, our crowd was great about eating seven helpings each of turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, and rum. They did not, however, eat their fair share of pie. Now, true to my heritage, I can handle a good amount of pie by myself, but that was too much and it went bad before I could eat it. (am a failure to my family).
I've been doing some careful figuring, and I think I can make five (read: six) pies and count on them being consumed within a reasonable period. What should those precious five pies be? Any suggestions? We know there has to be pumpkin, apple, and cherry. Probably some kind of berry pie for Dana. What should I double up on? Should I make any others?
ahh. a delicious dilemma.

4 comments:

Archaeology Ash said...

Pumpkin cheesecake! I can help you with finishing it off when I get back from my folks.

We always make 2 pumpkin and 2 pecan, even though the most people we have ever had at dinner is 6. This year there will only be 4, and there will still be 4 pies.

I say: 1 pumpkin cheesecake, 1 pumpkin, 1 pecan, 1 apple, 1 cherry, and 1 berry.

Archaeology Ash said...

Oh, and birthday cake with milk is acceptable for breakfast in our house, as well as pie.

Brook said...

I would mix it up to appeal to the pie reluctant. Like the pumpkin cheesecake will get people that always go for cheesecake.

If you're looking for a berry pie, I made this this one this summer. It's sort of cobblery. People at my office liked it.

How about a horse race pie to get the chocoholics?

Then throw in the traditional stuff, because it's just not thanksgiving without a pecan and a pumpkin pie.

TucsonLizzie said...

Ooo. What's horse race pie?