Thursday, June 28, 2007

Happy in my own place

I went to the hairdresser this weekend. I explained to her once again how much I'd like to have big curly hair instead of my very tame straight brown hair. She has been through this with me a lot of times before, but this time, she sat down and told me that I do not have big hair and probably shouldn't have big hair. She said I should learn to live with what I've got and that I should "own it". Make it mine. I've been thinking a lot about what she said and I think I can apply this to a lot of areas of my life.
I live in the desert. I love rain and hate the heat, and so clearly, this is the wrong place for me. For three years, I have been trying to do little things that make the desert seem less desert-y. The most thick-headed of these attempts has been my quest to grow tomatoes. I really like gardening and I really hate store-bought tomatoes. The first year, I grew tomatoes in pots which died instantly. I didn't realize you had to literally water things twice a day if you put them in a pot. The next year, I moved and I tried the tomatoes in pots thing again, but on a "shady" side of the house. Once again they died. This year is my final attempt and I have really made a go of it. I made a planter, filled it with beautiful soil and mulch and sunk a drip hose. Still, this:
I tried one last time and bought more plants. With extra water and love I have these, with just the teensiest signs of life. They have blossoms, which just might turn into tomatoes.
If they live another week, I'll buy them cages. However, I've realized that I've spent a lot of money, energy, and time trying to create something that isn't natural. Just like my hair, I can't make Arizona something it isn't. If I get tomatoes, that will be great, but next year, I'm putting in jalepenos and rosemary.
Meanwhile, I do have some things growing well in the yard like these baby pomegranates. By fall, the birds and I will have a messy feast with those.
So, it's my goal for the rest of these hot months to come to terms with the straightness of my hair. Straight brown hair isn't boring if I say it isn't! Also, I'm going to accept Arizona for the good things, like beautiful sunsets, long drives, open wilderness, and low heating bills.

*update on yogurt: it didn't kill me. It was actually pretty yummy. If I make it again though, I'm going to use 2% milk, because it wasn't as thick as I'd like.

3 comments:

katie o. said...

Your hair is gorgeous-sleek and chestnut colored with natural golden highlights. Very chic, and I wish mine looked like yours.

My tomatoes are out of control, but I can't grow pomegranets (or spell them) nor can I get jalepenos. You are a lucky girl.

Love,
K-

jennypah said...

We have tomatoes but then again we're in the "garden" state so we have an edge. Try tomatoes that are for hot and dry climates ... I know I saw them at our home improvement store. Oh and miracle grow ... the greenish/bluish stuff will totally help. And there's these things called "suckers" that literally suck the life out of your tomatoes ... Nick knows more than I do ... I highly recommend writing him or googling my babble. Homegrown tomatoes rock!

Brook said...

We should trade hair.
I tried to grow tomatoes in the desert and mostly failed, but my stepgrandmother in Kaysville Utah grows huge tomatoes. I do think we get more water here though