Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Great Cereal Debate 2007

So, we have a rule in our house that I think is unfair. We are only allowed to buy new cereal when we have finished an old box. I am the only one in this house who eats cereal, you see, and I think I should get to make up the rules. Well, recently I have begun to see the beauty of our rule. Four weeks ago, I had a box of cocoa puffs and a box of rice crispies. Then, our friends started going into the field for the summer and sending us stuff from their pantries. Then we had cocoa puffs, two boxes of rice crispies, honey nut cheerios, and raisin bran. The other day, crunch berries were on sale for a dollar (!) and I know I shouldn't have, but I bought them.


Now I have a dilemma. All of this beloved cereal is going to go stale before I can eat it. I think I need to develop a plan of attack so that I eat the best cereal first. I don't want to eat the same one every day, but I still need to eliminate some boxes. What do you suggest? How would you conquer this mountain of bran, oats, rice, and crunch berries?

5 comments:

katie o. said...

Hmm, you could invite the population of a small country over for breakfast...or maybe host a cereal-a-thon...or invent an alternative fuel source derived from breakfast foods...or train your cats to eat with spoons...or...

Emily Hunter said...

You could have a cereal party... but judging by the amount of SUGAR-LADEN CRAP that you have here, the two party guests would have to be Calvin and Hobbes. Or Miss Wormwood's entire first grade class.

Next time you buy cereal, get a HEALTHY kind! Or... just get wired, I guess.

karmakat said...

What a yummy problem.

Do you have room in your freezer for some of the cereal?
You could take it out of the boxes and use zip lock bags.

I think I would still leave it in the original in the zip lock.

I've had good luck with this before.

You might want to go ahead and eat the super duper extra sugary ones like capn crunch or maybe just pitch that. NOBODY needs THAT much sugar.

karmakat said...

Dang...I wanted to hit edit, not publish.

The third sentence was supposed to say...I think I would still leave it in the original "factory" bag and put that in the zip lock.

TucsonLizzie said...

As a matter of fact, Calvin and Hobbes and both my cats have been very helpful in finishing up this cereal. Mom, I love your advice. I will definitely eat the nasty sugary (read: delicious)ones first.