Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Apron and Ruins


I finished the Laura Ingalls apron. It's pink and flowery on one side and green on the other. It's not exactly the Laura/Mary apron that I had planned, but maybe she'll like it anyway. It has little pockets that don't show up in the picture.
I also made the pink fabric into an apron that I like much better and that I'm considering sending instead, even though it has nothing to do with the theme. I'll attach pictures as soon as I can get the camera to behave. It's hard to take a decent picture for a blog, isn't it?
In other news, I'm going to be backpacking next weekend! There's a really remote site in northern Arizona called Keet Seel. It's about an 8 mile hike and then a 100 foot ladder!
It should be really cool. The site is off the beaten path and so it may not be as looted as most sites around Arizona. Also, it isn't a huge tourist attraction, so it won't have reconstructions or interpretive signs. It should be a great trip. It's really warm down here in the desert lately, but at Keet Seel, it should be much cooler. Keet Seel is located on the Navajo Reservation, but it was occupied by the Kayenta Anasazi long before the Navajo came to Arizona. It was built in the 1100's and was probably abandoned like the rest of the southwest around 1300. It's closed to the public now, so I'm excited to have the chance to go. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures to share.

3 comments:

karmakat said...

Cool weekend plans, but a little scary being so remote and cut off from the world.

If the place is closed to the public, how can you go there?

Loved the apron and the history.

katie o. said...

Lizzie, go visit
http://pacalaga.blogspot.com/
She lives near you!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I've heard of Keet Seel but never knew just where it was. Have a great hike! It was wonderful getting to talk to you and Rob while coming home from my birthday trip to Gainesville. The blog is awesome. Now I can keep up with what y'all are doing.