Tuesday, April 1, 2008

More about how I love Canada

We took a very long walk all around the city and then ended up in Stanley Park. We'd heard a lot about the park and it really did live up to expectations. It was like a little magical forest where you can't see or hear the city anymore. Just gorgeous. Totem poles and trees and lakes and paths and flowers and everything you'd want in the middle of March. Except coffee.
Here are Nikki and I walking down one of the paths through the cedar trees.

This is a whale (me thinks) outside of the aquarium in the park. It was raining so I think he was happy to be wet. I've never known a whale that likes dry weather.

These are the people who live in the aquarium. I mean the seals that live in the aquarium. Seals are people too...


They're sugar seals and they kept swimming back and forth on their backs. They looked like they were having a good time. This view is from a path in the park that leads to a glass wall where you can see the seals and the beluga whales without going into the aquarium itself which was a little expensive. There were otters inside which was definitely a temptation (I heart otters), but we had sushi to get to. Also pizza and brownies. And then Canadian beer.


This is the view back to the city from the park. Wow, huh? The tide was out so you can see a lot of the shoreline. The walk back around to the convention center was very long, it would have been really tempting in hot weather to swim across instead. Then again, this is a shipping channel so that would be gross. And dangerous. Ok, bad idea.

So we walked back the normal (read: long) way and warmed up in the hotel's hot tub. The hot tub was outside (!) and on the eighth floor. Such a weird experience, being outside in the freezing cold, and wearing nothing but a bathing suit. Very fun.
Then, we walked down to Chinatown in search of dinner. If you go to Vancouver, I highly recommend not walking to Chinatown at night. Or maybe ever. We ended up having sushi in Gastown instead. Gastown was really fun and we hung out there a lot.
Ok, back to work. One last Canada installment tomorrow...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just how many whales DO you know?
Dad

marge said...

Love the reports. I feel like I am there when I read them.
You scared me there for a minute when I read that you walked to Chinatown.
I've been through there on a tour and you do NOT want to walk there, ESPECIALLY at night.
You made a wise decision going to gastown instead.

I'm so glad you are including movies. I really enjoy them.

Good work.

Archaeology Ash said...

I like your coat.

Sad face, I want to go to Vancouver.

Anonymous said...

Loved the fat little seals! Rob, remember that seal at Avalon you thought was a shark!! I think you tried to climb up on my head to get out of the water!
I envy you the sushi. Thanks for the travelogue. Beautiful majestic trees at the park and what a view of the city.You are THE photographer.Take after your Dad and artistic sister!

Tiffany said...

I am trying hard not to be envious, but it is not working. :( And I love the Lizzie Broadcasting Channel.

Anywho, here is a post I thought you might find funny, from a blog you might find interesting: http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/268

No, I am not spamming you! Tarhar!

TucsonLizzie said...

Tiffany, that's hilarious! We are definitely going to have a viewing party, even if it isn't really about sherds and grants.