Saturday, July 7, 2007

Knitting Progress

Knitting has been happening around here too, even though it's 8,000 degrees outside. I've been working on this sweater for my sister. We have a deal worked out where I knit her a sweater and she makes me a nativity set for Christmas. She asked for a beachy white sweater. I'm making this one up as I go along, and I'm not sure she'll like it. We'll see when it's all done. Right now, I'm up to the armpits. It's knit in a merino blend because my sister has been known to wash and dry wool sweaters. Besides, who wants a sweater that they have to take special care of? There will be a deep v-neck and a big hood. You can just see the beginnings of the neck shaping now. I'm making it kind of long-it should hit mid hip. That way it'll feel more relaxed and beachy (do you actually know anyone who wears a sweater on the beach?)







I'm also working on the slippers pattern from Knit 2 Together. There are a lot of beautiful patterns in this book, but a lot of them call for expensive yarn, so I'm going to work up to them slowly. The slippers only need a little bit of yarn. The pattern wants three strands of wool held toegther and a contrasting color for the top, but I'm changing it up a little. I'm holding two different colors together the whole way. I think it will look cool once it's felted. Here it is all knitted, pre-felting. When I get the other one knitted, I'll felt them (Katie-help!) and show you how it looks.



Holding more than one strand of yarn at a time can be just too tempting for my evil cats, so I use this ingenious box Katie made for my birthday. You put the yarn inside and thread it through the grommets in the front.



The yarn stays all neat and uneaten while you knit. It's also a good place to stash unfinished projects when people are coming over in ten minutes and you're wearing your pajamas and the sink is full.


3 comments:

karmakat said...

Your projects look great. I love the colors for both.

Your picture of Orbit is really cute. Did you use photoshop to put his thought words in or do you just have a magic camera?
I suspect they were very close to what he was really thinking too.

If Katie really made that box up, you should take that picture down and get a patent on it or something.
You guys are just so talented.

katie o. said...

Hee-hee! Love the photo of Orbit with the yarn. Cats are crafty...but they don't make good knitters.

You have the coolest pattern books. The book with the slippers is so cute-I've never seen it before. Watch out-I may come and raid your yarn stash AND your knitting books, too!

Love the sweater, BTW. It is amazing, as always. You are such a fast knitter!!! K- is going to love, love, love it!!!

Brook said...

That box is so clever. Go Katie. How did the projects turn out?