Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Post for Emily

Not Emily Post, this Emily!
Emi has decided to take up baking and I'm sure she's going to be excellent at it. She recently asked about recommendations for baking gear. I was putting together an email for her about all of my favorites, but I decided to put it on here instead. So here you go, Emi, here's what my
perfect dream kitchen would contain:

For cookies and almost all other baking needs:
I like a heavy aluminum half-sheet. I get all worried about the non-stick stuff that comes on a lot of cookie sheets, so I prefer this plain, non-treated kind. Besides, most cookies don't need greased sheets anyway. If you need to make your pan non-stick (for candy or biscuits, etc.) you could use a silpat:
These silicon baking sheets prevent things from sticking, but they are essentially made of woven glass, not scary chemicals, so I think they're probably safer. Plus, they make cookies cook really evenly and they turn out fluffy and perfect. I also use my silpat to roll out bread dough and pastry. Speaking of pastry, I'm sure it's familiarity with what my mom taught me to use, but I don't think there's a better kitchen tool than the pastry knife:
I use mine for pastry (duh), for making crumbs for apple pie and struesel, for mashing small amounts of mashed potatoes and for crushing up basil before I put it in the blender when I make pesto.
For cakes, which I cannot stop making entirely too often, I use my beloved mixer. It is a Sunbeam Mixmaster. While I would dearly love a pale blue Kitchen Aid, my Mixmaster kicks a lot of ass. It's a powerful mixer and it never ever shoots dough across the kitchen and it never ever gets clogged up beaters. I especially love that I have a mixer that is the same brand and the same design as the one my mom has and the one my grandmom used. Can't beat that!

My cake pans are really cool, but I couldn't find pictures of them. They are 9" dark metal (think calphalon dark) and have silicon handles so you can hold them almost right out of the oven. I'm suggesting these pans for Emily:
They are the same heavy aluminum as the half sheet. I think I would buy the 8" diameter instead for a couple of reasons. First, I think that a smaller pan yields a taller cake, and I think that looks better than a wider cake. Second, I'm not sure if it is my oven or the elevation here in Tucson, but I find that the edges burn less and the cake cooks more evenly in a deeper pan.
In case you're worried about your own oven, get one of these:

For bread, roasts, and soups with fry starts, I love love love these enameled cast iron dutch ovens:

Emily totally called it on these, Lodge makes the nicest and prettiest version. They are heavy and seem to last a long time, I've had a lodge pan since I first went to college and it looks brand new.
The last thing I can think of that I really use a lot is a metal spatula.
It is perfect for icing (which I absolutely suck at) but I also use it for picking up fragile things off of baking pans (fiddly brownies, candy, etc.). You could also use it for fish in a frying pan, since it's nice and long.
Oh, and there's also my silver fork. I couldn't make a thing if it weren't for my favorite silver fork.
I hope this helps Emily! You know, even though all this stuff is cool, and I would love to have a whole kitchen full of perfect tools, you can make delicious awesome looking food without any of it.
The most important thing I use when I bake is experience. If it weren't for my mom letting me bake with her for so long, I wouldn't know how to do anything. She's the best baker there is. Maybe she has some gear suggestions?

8 comments:

Emily Hunter said...

Yay! This post is very helpful indeed for a novice baker like me. Do your pics link to any certain places? It's funny, I'm filling up my cart at the Surfas link you sent me, but I can't see a pastry knife anywhere! Is it possible I'm blind?

And Marge, please send any tips you might have as well! I'm just a sponge for knowledge at this point...

Emily Hunter said...

Re: cakes: you mention depth... do you recommend 8 x 3 or 8 x 2? and what are your thoughts on removable vs fixed bottom pans? will I want to kill myself after using either type?

Karen May Studios said...

man...I dont have half of these things. I thought I had aeverything I needed.

Emily Hunter said...

Re: your spatula... the angle of that photo is really weird... how wide are they? like 1 inches, or 3? Are they wide enough that you can easily scoop up cookies?

TucsonLizzie said...

Okay, for cake pans I recommend the 3" kind. It doesn't really make a difference, but you might as well get the deep kind in case you make a bigger cake. The spatula is about 1 1/2" wide, but will still work for cookies. You might get a big flippy plastic one for cookies and pancakes. The pastry knife could also be called a pastry blender, and you can get them anywhere, try target. Karen, you bake so beautifully, you don't need any special gear.

TucsonLizzie said...

Oh, and I recommend fixed bottom pans unless you're making cheesecake or a deep tart or quiche. The removable bottoms often leak (esp. in a water bath) and they will just make you angry. Maybe get one with a removable bottom and the rest normal.

therobmom said...

I was just re-reading this blog and thought of my Mom's favorite deep dish 9" glass pyrex pie dish which is said to be 24cm on the underside. I consider it essential for pies, quiche, and all kinds of baking. It's got the scalloped edges so the pie always turns out pretty.

Archaeology Ash said...

don't for get the stand mixer! Its totally not a necessity, but I use mine all the time. Actually, I bake just so that I can use it.