Monday, August 24, 2009

Baking

Well well well. It seems like once again, all I blog about is food.
This weekend I decided it was high time to make some more tiny cakes. I whipped up some plain old buttery, rich yellow cake in my tiny cake pans that I bought for Kacy's shower last year.

Then I baked them all together on a tray. I let them cool and then was free to experiment. Each cake has three layers, so there was plenty of room for icing and flavoring. On the first one, I spread lemon curd between the layers (oh how I love lemon curd) and then iced it with cream cheese vanilla icing. I decorated it with my favorite little fake daisies. Annnnd, I might have eaten a slice for breakfast. shhh.The other cake was for Rob. In between the layers is blackberry preserves. Then I mixed the preserves with the cream cheese icing and iced the whole cake with the purpleish mixture. I stuck it in the fridge for a while to set, then I iced over that with normal, non berry icing.
Of course I covered it with sprinkles. Rob hearts sprinkles more than cake.

I can't get enough of tiny cakes. I wish I lived back east so I could hand deliver one to my lovely niece who just had her first birthday!!! Happy Birthday sweetie!

This is a little candle holder that I made for her for her birthday. Well, it's like the one that I made her. The real one is hopefully on a USPS plane speeding its way toward her right now.


5 comments:

therobmom said...

Lizzie the Baker is Baaack!! Will we have our Friday recipes? Wish I could send you my sweet bread starter-Amish Friendship bread. It makes yummy banana nut bread.You get to squeeze the bag while it's fermenting. Fun.

katie o. said...

Oh aunt Lizzie, I love that candle holder. It is so sweet-just like you! I can't wait to see the one you sent to me!

I love you!

Mary M

Karen May Studios said...

Cute candle holder! What's it made out of? I think that's incorrect grammar. But what's correct? From what is it made?" Telleth me quicketh...from what and whence was it made"...hence.

Archaeology Ash said...

The holder is perfect! I want cake. Come over and make some with me!

Anonymous said...

Katie O had a baby? Congratulations, Katie O and family! :) The cakes look good enough to eat, Lizzie!