Monday, September 14, 2009

Birthday Camping

I had a sort of big birthday last week. To celebrate, I wanted to invent a time machine. But that didn't work out. The next thing on my list was CAMPING! I know, I know. I don't seem like someone who enjoys camping. Or living outdoors for months at a time. Or sleeping on the ground. But I really do.
Rob obliged and took me to the Chiricahua mountains for a lovely weekend. We brought along our new favorite toy, "The Mansion". The mansion is the largest tent ever. We luv it. We have both spent a lot of time camping and backpacking in teeny tiny tents, and we have a great time, but now that I've hit the big 3-0, we felt it was time for...a different kind of camping.
Mansion camping. This sucker is sooooo big you could easily fit four people inside along with their stuff. We figured we should just admit to ourselves that we mostly car camp, and we should embrace it. Chairs, tableclothes, cards, frisbees, giant coolers, and The Mansion.
We grilled out a birthday dinner of spicy chicken tacos.
And I played in the creek some.
When we got home, Rob baked(!) this gorgeous birthday cake. This is his first cake ever. Isn't it perfect? It tasted every bit as good as it looks.

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

Happy belated birthday! What a lovely cake! I hope you enjoy filling your new decade full of life.

Car camping is a whole other beast, but it really isn't half bad, is it? We also have a Mansion-esque tent and last time we went camping, Reed brought a contraption and blew up the air mattress off the car battery. I pretended that this was blasphemous, but was secretly glad that I didn't have to sleep on my ultralight thermarest. As usual, there is no in-between for us.

Brook said...

I love the mansion. Looks it could be magically big too, like the Weasley's tent they take to the Quidditch World Cup.

Happy Birthday!!

TucsonLizzie said...

Thanks Tiffany, thanks Whit! I think now that I've been in the mansion I can't turn back. We are definitely considering a giant blow up air mattress for next time. Hey, it's still outside-that's camping!

Anonymous said...

Awesome tent! Happy birthday! I spent last night in a tent with my kids. I'm tired. And sore. But, we want to do it again, and soon!

Archaeology Ash said...

Ok, so it is a cool tent. How will that work on the Chilkoot Trail next year??

therobmom said...

Rob told me the tent was big but it is really BIG! I could probably stand up inside! The cake looked finger lickin' good too.You deserve your comforts.Lizzie. Go for it!!

Karen May Studios said...

I like the Taj Ma Tent. Really roughed it didnt you. The cake is B-E A-utiful. It looks like a painting. In fact...it just might be. Give me a minute.

karinna jean said...

Super sweet! Good job on the cake, Rob. I agree with Whit- Weasley tent for sure. If only there was the smell of cats...