Sunday, April 5, 2009

Mischief Managed

All of yesterday's projects were total successes!

The chocolate chocolate chip cookies are outrageously good. They are going to be added to next year's cookie party for sure. I'm currently eating them for breakfast because R. isn't up yet and I can't get in trouble. hee hee.

The trickier project was the new chalkboard in the kitchen. This was much harder than I thought it would be. I planned to just yank it down and spray paint it a few times, but R. made sure we did it right.
He was very careful about how we took it down, so we didn't hurt the wall or the board. pah!. Oh, you know what? There's nothing at all under the board. I fully expected a hole or an old utility box, or at least a portal to another dimension, but there was nothing! I guess somebody put it up so they wouldn't have to drill holes in the adobe to hang the towel bar. Now I feel kind of bad that I've been making fun of it for so long.
I sanded the board and took out all the old nails and screws. Then I spackled all the holes and sanded it again. Then I put on the first coat of chalkboard paint and actually waited to put on the next two. My patience and maturity are astounding.
After four coats, it's very smooth and looks just like a real chalkboard. I can't write on it yet. Sigh. It has to cure for a whole 24 hours. Tonight at exactly 9:16 I'm going to write all over it. Yay!

7 comments:

katie o. said...

Oh, that chalkboard is very cool. It looks good, too, against the orange painted walls. Neato!

Your blog always has funny security words. Now it's "unines"...as opposed to you eights, or you tens? Or perhaps security words have gone the way of auto makers and teachers and formed "unines" for better working conditions?

Brook said...

I am beyond impressed.

Brook said...

powhear! Just reaffirming Katie's comment.

Roselawn said...

Cool chalkboard and yummy looking cookies. I wish I were at your house right now!!!

TucsonLizzie said...

Oh Sherry! I wish you were too!

therobmom said...

Nice Black Hole! I'm reading Stephan Hawking and it's a little scary. Be careful what you write-it might end up in another dimension!!

Karen May Studios said...

yo...did you know that your chalkboard will last longer if, before you use it to write on, you chalk-up the whole thing. It will keep it from getting those 'ghost lines' that never erase. just cover the whole thing with the side of the chalk going both directions...y'know...East and, um...Up.
The great Gazoo has spoken