Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Standin' on the corner and fishin' in the lake

I went on two fun trips the last two weekends. First, I went to Winslow with my friend AJ. We slept in this pueblo that she built. It was really cool to watch the stars at night through this smoke hole in the roof. The next day, we burned the pueblo down as an archaeological experiment. She's looking at how fire behaves in prehistoric buildings and whether or not you can reconstruct the origin of the fire from the debris on the floor and the smoke patterns on the walls. I was looking at how many tree-rings are lost on the primary and secondary beams when the roof of a pueblo catches fire. That way I can know how far off tree-ring dates from a prehistoric charred log might be. Anyway, we came back very tired and very filled with smoke.
Last weekend I went with Ashley, Ryan, and Reggie to Lake Havasu to visit her family. We had a really really great time. It was very relaxing and felt like a much longer trip than the two days that it actually was. Plus, there were Yorkies!