Thursday, October 11, 2007

How to dress inappropriately for work: step one.

These are the shoes I decided to wear today. Normally they are very comfortable. Today, they were a bad bad idea. I'm not so good with heels in the first place, but I thought these would be fine since they're kinda clunky. So I put them on and hopped on my bike to ride the 1.5 miles to work. HA! Little did I know that riding my bike would be the easiest thing I did all day!


The morning went fine, other than two long walks all the way across campus to meet Rachel and Ashley and to go to a class. Then, I had some work to do in the wood shop, so I teetered over to the tree-ring lab. I used the band saw and a belt sander and got all covered in sawdust. Still fine, right? No big deal.
Two hours later I got to be a lab hero. We had some really important samples that needed to be sent to Oregon and Canada via the 5 o'clock FedEx. Well, we only finished working them up at about 4:56. Yipe! Me and my heels jumped on the bike and raced over to the dropbox. As I was turning into the street, I heard the clock chime 5:00. Crap! I was almost there when I saw the FedEx truck zooming away. Oh no! So I chased it. On my bike. In the heels. The packages were tucked under my arm and I pedaled really hard and caught up to the truck at the stop sign. I called to the driver and she took my packages. Whew!
I know. It was a lot of effort for some stupid trees, but I got to go back to the lab with a big grin.
Hurray.

p.s. this is the scene in the front yard this evening. There may be a dog in our future. R. is in love with these mongrels.

3 comments:

Archaeology Ash said...

Thanks for meeting me for coffee even though your feet hurt really bad. It was a delicious peppermint mocha!

And hurry up and get a dog already! Ellie and Tanner are bored with each other!

karmakat said...

Love the heels story. You really were a hero.

Don't forget dogs require a lot more attention than kittens. You can't just leave them with a bunch of food when you go on a trip.

You can always play with Ellie and Tanner. And that way they won't be bored. You can be the grandparents.

katie o. said...

Heels=bad, but very cute. Your poor toes!