Wednesday, December 3, 2008

coooooookies

I made some cookies today for my favorite husband. He really likes peanut butter cookies, but the creative Blythe women have encouraged me to branch out and make different stuff. Well, only slightly different in this case. Instead of our usual peanut butter cookies, I made these with brown sugar and chocolate chips (I know. I'm a daredevil). Do you want the recipe? It was really really easy:Wednesday Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookies:
1 cup creamy peanut butter (I used Peter Pan, but usually I like the more peanutty store brand for cookies)
1/2 cup brown sugar packed
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg slightly beaten
teensy handful of flour (maybe 1/4 cup)
1 cup chocolate chips (plus 1/2 cup for snacking)

I mixed the peanut butter with the sugars and the vanilla and then added the egg. It was seeming a little shiny and peanut buttery, so I added the small amount of flour until it seemed more doughy. I wouldn't add much, but I think just a little flour makes a cakier cookie. When I liked the look of the dough, I added the chips and drop them in large spoonfuls on a cookie sheet with a silpat. I think Peanut butter cookies smell weird when they cook, and the Silpat seems to help with that. I smooshed the dough balls with my favorite cookie fork* in a criss- cross pattern (of course) and then baked them at 375 for 10-ish minutes.
I cooled them on a rack and then ate them all. Ok, that's not true, I shared with Rob. Afterall, they were for him.

*I have big love for this particular fork. It is very narrow and has extraordinarily long tines. It's silver and has a semi-fancy handle. I got it at a thrift store, so it is the only one like it. It is so perfect for making cookies and for beating eggs and squooshing the edges of pie crust, etc. I would be so sad if I ever lost it. Do you have any funny tools like that? Anything that seems really ordinary but is indispensible for what you like to do?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh! I love the story about your fork! I have a baking spoon. It's just a big serving spoon that one of my students left behind after a class fiesta. I use it to stir everything, to get flour out of the bag, whatever. Even L knows to get Mommy's baking spoon when we get in a baking-kinda-mood. I never thought about it before, but I would be very sad if my baking spoon went away...I won't think about that. I'll just think about how very, very, vverrry happy I am that you're blogging again. I missed ya!

Brook said...

Fantastic! I'm so happy to have this recipe. I'll have to think about what utensils I'm attached to. I love little pyrex bowls that make me feel like a cooking show host.

Anonymous said...

I got a hand-carved wooden spoon at a craft fair years ago and it's perfect for stirring Grandma's chocolate cherry brownies which are stiff. Of course licking it after is the best part!
I can just taste those cookies! What a pretty picture.

Emily Hunter said...

I like how you always politely ask your readers if they would like the recipe first. It's like,

"NO!!"

"Okay, then kindly scroll down to the next post, Thanks."

I love reading your recipes. Thank you.