Monday, March 10, 2008

Hummingbird Cake

I made a cake for Whitney's birthday. The beautiful Whitney is turning 28 tomorrow and she deserves a cake. I'm not actually sending her the cake because her birthday is only one day away, she lives far from me, cakes don't do well in the mail, and she eats well and won't appreciate cake in her diet. Still, we will celebrate for her here in Tucson.

I made a hummingbird cake from my new favorite cookbook, Back to the Table.The basic premise of the cookbook is that we should all slow down a little bit and eat together more often. Especially in our little family of two, we sometimes have to remind ourselves that dinner is important time together and we should eat at the table. This cookbook has a slightly southern flair and is full of delicious recipes. I like the hummingbird cake recipe because it makes a kick ass cake, but also because it is sort of rough and simple. You don't use a mixer, so you can really make this one with someone else in the kitchen and still hear eachother's conversation. We haven't tried it yet, but when we do, we will think of Whitney and sing to her birthday.

2 comments:

marge said...

Happy birthday, Whitney.
Your cake looks delicious!!

Brook said...

Happy Birthday to Me. Happy Birthday to Me! This looks lovely. I think I will have to make one as well. BTW, this made me look up Hummingbird cake and I came across this history: www.foodtimeline.org/foodcakes.html#hummingbird.